As a homeowner, it's important to know how to take care of your plumbing and heating system. Plumbing issues can be costly and inconvenient, but with some basic knowledge and preventative measures, you can avoid most problems. In this blog, we will provide some plumbing tips for homeowners.
1. Regular Maintenance: It may feel like "stating the obvious" but one of the best ways to prevent plumbing issues is by scheduling regular maintenance. A professional plumbing and heating engineer can inspect your pipes, drains, and appliances to ensure everything is in good working order. They can also identify potential problems before they become major issues.
2. Avoid Chemical Drain Cleaners: When you have a blocked drain, it can be tempting to reach for a chemical drain cleaner. However, these products can be harmful to your pipes and the environment. Instead, try using a plunger or a drain snake to clear the blockage. If these methods don't work, call a professional plumber.
3. Know Your Water Shut-Off Valve: In case of a plumbing emergency, such as a burst pipe or major leak, it's important to know where your main water shut-off valve is located. This valve will turn off the water supply to your home and prevent further damage.
4. Don't put food down your sink drain or anything other than toilet paper and human waste down your toilet. Your waste pipes are not invincible! Avoid overloading it with food scraps or non-food items like paper towels, plastic wrappers, sanitary towels etc.
5. Fix Leaks Immediately: Even minor leaks can lead to major water damage if left untreated. If you notice any leaks in your plumbing system, it's important to get them repaired immediately.
6. Have your Gas appliances serviced annually.
By following these plumbing tips, you can keep your home's plumbing system in good working order and avoid costly repairs.